Copyright (c) 2009 Wes Fernley
In prison and correctional facilities, it’s critical to have a proper video surveillance system. This is why more and more prisons are opting for the IP Camera which works like a normal surveillance camera but with the added benefit of internet access. In a prison or correctional facility, where violence, drug use and officer misconduct are common occurrences, the more advanced the video surveillance, the better.
Benefits of IP Camera Surveillance Equipment
– The ability to record video to a remote PC over the internet
– The ability to be everywhere in the prison, without actually having to be there.
– Prevent prison incidents by being able to spot suspicious activity before it can get any further
– The ability to record on command – intelligent surveillance begins to record only on motion
– Notification on motion detection sent via email, FTP and SMS to prison guards
– Provide visual evidence which can be sent via wireless internet which can be extremely valuable in investigations of prison incidents.
– Maintain order and control and reduce assaults, drug smuggling and other illegal activity
– Remote video monitoring- the ability to view live video from the prison over the Internet from anywhere in the world
– With IP cameras there is no need for a power cable as they work with Power over Ethernet. This means lower installation costs and less wiring for better security and secrecy.
Risks and Resolutions of IP Video Camera Surveillance
– Tampering: many inmates attempt to tamper with video cameras. However, the IP camera comes with a motion detector that will automatically record the moment it detects motion.
– Privacy Protection: many believe that IP cameras take away the privacy of both guards and inmates. However, in most instances, constant IP surveillance is a necessary aspect of prison life for both the security and safety of the inmates and the guards.
– Over Reliance: in some instances, an over reliance on IP cameras and other video equipment can cause laziness. Ensure there is a balance between prison guards and IP cameras. Both are necessary for effective surveillance.
Proper Configuration of IP Cameras
It’s important to look at all the different options when it comes to setting up and configuring your security camera system. Keep the following in mind when installing your IP cameras
– There are low risk and high risk areas within all facilities. Make sure you target both.
– Are there drug users and drug smuggling in the facility?
– Are there certain guards or prisoners that are in constant conflict and possible mistreated? If so, set up cameras where this mistreatment usually takes place.
– Where are the violent outbursts usually going on? In the common room? Outside? Having IP cameras installed there can keep track of the culprits and gain the evidence needed. Setup Advice for the IP Camera
– Make sure you position the camera over the prison yard, hallways, stairwells and other areas where inmates may be escorted. Other areas include entrances, exits and independent cell blocks. Do not limit to use dining, recreational and booking areas. The more cameras, the better.